Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tina Stewart did not die in vain

On March 2, Tina Stewart was found fatally stabbed in her apartment at Middle Tennessee State University. Tina was so full of life, and she would have had an incredible future. She played basketball and excelled academically. She loved her family, her God, and her friends.

I was never especially close to Tina. I went to school with Tina for a little while, and we always spoke to each other in passing. That means I also went to school with the woman who has been charged with her murder, and I knew her on about the same level. Because of this, the situation hit very close to home for me - a little too close. I have realized that this could have happened to me or to any one of my friends. It could have happened to ANYONE.

Tina's death has recently reminded me just how short life is, and it has shown me that I need to live mine a little differently.

Life is extremely precious, and it should be treasured. I am blessed with the opportunity to be creating positive change right now. I've made the decision to get more involved in my community, and I have taken the beginning steps to make that happen.

Some people are blessed with a hundred years on this earth. Others are gone before they cry for the first time. I've come to see that the length of your life is not important. It's what you do with it that counts - the impact you have on the people around you.

Everyone leaves something behind, and Tina is a wonderful example of how to leave something beautiful. She might be gone from this world, but she is still impacting the lives of others.

I hope knowing Tina will always be remembered, loved, and appreciated for the way she lived her life will be of some comfort to her family. God bless them all.



The Stewart family is traveling back and forth quite a bit for all of the court hearings, and, as I'm sure you can imagine, doing so is not cheap. No one can take away the pain of losing a child or sister, but we can help ease the financial burden for this family. Please consider making a donation to a fund set up for them at Regions Bank. Go to any Regions Bank location and let them know you'd like to donate to the "In Loving Memory of Tina Stewart" fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment