Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 23 - SIGH @ Values

Values In The Modern World - such an interesting and complex name for a class. And yet, it is quite simple to understand, especially after you read the course description (these are listed on the website where you register for the classes you want to take right next to whichever class they go with). Somehow, most of the students in my 'Values' class still don't understand what it means to be in a philosophy class. Either that, or they just have no concept of what the subject of philosophy really is.

Philosophy is derived from two Greek words meaning "love" and "wisdom". So roughly translated, philosophy = the love of wisdom. Wisdom is rational. With wisdom comes the ability to listen to another person's ideas and suggestions, while not necessarily agreeing with them, but at least acknowledging that they could have some valid points. This is where my issue with these people comes in.

Today in class we were discussing the Divine Command Theory. To my understanding, it is, in a nutshell, a moral theory stating that God decides what is right and wrong because God decides what is right and wrong. (I know I just lost some of you, and that's okay - my point here is not to educate you in philosophy, but to give you the main topic our discussion was based on.) Mrs. Botts was saying how this is a circular pattern (God decides because God decides), and we were talking about the arguments against it.

Let me make this crystal clear before I get jumped by some Christian soldier or something - she was in no way trying to convert our class to Atheism or anything of the sort. She was challenging the theory and trying to get someone (just ONE person) to give her a rational (not religious) argument in favor of it.

Could they do it? Nope. Did they, instead, waste up our class time arguing about God and their individual religious beliefs? Yep.

Why is it that people don't understand that philosophy is meant to be RATIONAL? It is not faith-based. It is a way of thinking on a deeper level, and it's all about logic.

I hate it when people can't even quit rambling on about how they're so good because they go to church on Sunday (in their slutty clothes after they had pre-marital sex the night before, I'm sure) and shut up long enough to entertain the idea that someone else might have a different opinion about God or moral reasoning.

I'm probably going to screw up my terms or just screw up with general philosophical knowledge when I say this, but I feel like creating a new theory that says: being hypocritical and getting on everyone's last damn nerve is morally wrong.

It's a deontological theory, y'all. Learn to love it.





Day 23 → Something you wish you had done in your life.

The way y'all talk, my life is over and I'm looking back on it. Honey, from where I'm standing, my life is just beginning! There are a lot of things I want to do, and I still have plenty of time left to do them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment