Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 25

I'm so drained right now. I cannot wait to crawl into my bed and pass out - if I even make it to my bed! Totally not kidding when I say that passing out on my laptop is a possibility tonight. But since I didn't blog last night, I wanted to make sure I did tonight.

This weekend has been an extremely busy one for me. It's been wonderful - I just wish I could have made it a little longer so that it wasn't so exhausting. I'm always saying how I need more hours in a day, and this weekend has been no exception!

It involved going to a mosque, writing an assignment for my English composition class, hanging out with friends I promised to hang out with, editing pictures, reading portions of textbooks, studying, shopping for MORE stuff for school, and the tiniest little bit of sleep in the middle of all of it.

I told someone today that recognizing how exhausted I am at the beginning of the third week has led me to be completely terrified of finals week. Part of my problem is that I've been off my iron supplements for about seven months now, while still having problems with anemia. I couldn't get in to see my doctor at any point that I was free during the summer and kept forgetting to try and get an appointment with someone else, and now I seriously don't have time to go. It sucks, and I hate myself just a little for being a total dork in the summer and not remembering to make a doctor's appointment.

I mentioned the mosque earlier - all I'm going to say about that is just WOW! It was a wonderful experience that I am so thankful I was given the opportunity to have.

I've also decided that I really want to pledge next year. I'll have to figure the financial thing out, because I have no idea how I'm going to foot the bill, but if I want it bad enough, I'll find a way, right? Anyway, I was leaning toward Alpha Delta Pi when I realized the list of sororities and women's fraternities I had been looking at on the U of M's website was ONLY a list of the ones who had housing on campus. WE HAVE AN AKA CHAPTER (Alpha Kappa Alpha, for those of you who have problems recognizing pink and green in its abbreviated format)!!!

When I mentioned my childhood dream of being an AKA to my friend, Monterica, she told me that it was crazy for Memphis not to have a chapter and suggested I scope out Memphis' Greek webpage again and try to find it. When I saw it listed, I was like - OMG, There it is. THERE it is! THERE IT IS!! IT'S HERE!!! AT MEMPHIS!

Seriously, y'all have no idea how excited I was. I decided I wanted to be an AKA when I was 10. I idolized a teacher at my elementary school (who became my sixth grade teacher the following year), and she was a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha! Actually, many of my former teachers were. After I began talking about it, I found out that I knew a LOT of AKA members... and I still do. In the last week alone, I have either discovered or been informed that three more of my friends are AKAs.

I went to after-school care when I was at Snowden. The director, Mrs. Greene, was (still is!) a member of Delta Sigma Theta (don't mix them in with AKAs for safety reasons, y'all!). When she noticed how often I wore pink and green socks/accessories/etc. she mentioned something about AKA colors, and I informed her that I wanted to become a member. She chased me around the cafeteria for 25 minutes with another after-care teacher's AKA umbrella. HAHA! I love her to death.

For those of you who think I'm a little confused - yes, I do realize that AKA is a mostly African-American sorority. But see, that's why I'd fit in so well! :)




Day 25 → The reason you believe you’re still alive today.

Obviously because I have added some incredible people to my life.

2 comments:

  1. i think the reason your still alive today is inspire others and be a voice for those that arent heard. your such a gorgeous passionate soul miss cloverleaf, never change who you are for anyone. love you
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Jo! Thank you. :) I love you, too! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete